Roses - Knowledgebase Question

San Antonio, Te
Question by picturelady6
We have a Rose garden and I add bone meal to the roses so they will grow big and healthy. Stray Dogs keep digging up my roses. I searched the web and found a site that told me to sprinkle Chili powder around my roses to keep animals away.
Now it has rained and the Chili powder has sunk into the ground. Will my roses be bothered my the powder?
Hopefully they don't smell like Chile :)

0

Thankfully, the chili powder won't affect your roses in any way at all. When you apply bone meal, try digging it into the soil so it won't be so obvious to neighboring dogs. Or, temporarily put a screening barrier over the soil. I've anchored old windowscreen over freshly applied bonemeal but you may be able to use chicken wire if that's more readily available. I use garden stakes to anchor the screening material down. Dogs try to dig but when they are not successful they usually go elsewhere. You might give this method a try. Good luck with your roses.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"