Phaleaneopsis Orchid - Knowledgebase Question

Verona, Wi
Question by msmeier
I purchased a Just Add Ice orchid last year from HD. Will it rebloom? The two flower stems are still green but it doesn't look like there's any new growth activity. Should I be fertilizing it? Thanks.

0

Although feeding with a bloom booster sounds like it might encourage faster blooms in your orchids, the truth is that they are on a natural, once a year blooming cycle. Most initiate spike formation in the fall and are in flower in mid to late winter. But why can you buy orchids in bloom all year round, you ask? Good question. (grin) Commercial growers manipulate the light and temperature in their growing area to force them into spiking and blooming. How do they do this? Another good question. They control the amount and length of sunlight exposure while also lowering the night time temperature to about 55 F. While you might be able to duplicate this in an enclosed area such as a greenhouse, it isn't likely you?ll be able to manipulate the light and temperatures inside your home to duplicate these precise growing conditions.

The bottom line is that your orchid isn't getting enough bright light. The ideal place in the home for growing orchids is a bright window, free from drafts, where your plants receive indirect sunlight both morning and afternoon. (A south window is best.) In winter, give orchids all the light possible. With extra large windows or especially intense sunlight, the light may be adjusted downward by moving plants 18 to 36 inches from the window.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"