Landscaping Fabric - Knowledgebase Question

KEarny, Ar
Question by larnajw
Last year we had our back upper yard landscaped the landscaper put down a very thick grey fabric material that he said was the best for preventing weeds well this year with all the rain we have weeds. It is going to be very costly to redo this so what can we do? I have been trying to pull them but this is why we had this done so we would not have to pull weeds. Please help.

0

Landscape fabric prevents weeds by blocking sunlight which seeds need in order to sprout. Either the fabric was damaged during or after installation which is allowing sunshine to penetrate to the soil, or the weeds in question rooted on the top of the fabric. If they rooted in the fabric they should be easy to pull because their roots are essentially above-ground. If you discover the weed barrier fabic is indeed damaged you can lay several inches of chipped bark or stones over the fabric to stop sunlight from penetrating. I'm afraid there's not much recourse except to pull the weeds as they appear! Wish I had a better solution to share!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "