Landscaping Fabric - Knowledgebase Question

KEarny, Ar
Question by larnajw
Thank ou for replying to my question. The weeds poked through the fabric and the landscaper did put a thick layer of rock over the fabric. Should he have used another kind of fabric or will all fabrics do this? The reason for having this done is so I wouldn't have to pull weeds and it is just going to be to costly to have redone.

If weeds are poking through the fabric, they are probably perennial weeds with extensive root systems. I suspect the weeds were not properly eliminated prior to the landscape fabric being set in place. It's not enough to simply chop down the tops of the weeds because the roots can store enough energy to send up strong stems - as you have discovered. I don't blame you for not wanting to redo the area because of the cost and labor involved. About the only thing you can do at this point is spot treat the weeds as they emerge. Use a vegetation killer such as Round Up and be careful not to spray it on your desireable plants. Just FYI, the proper process for installation of weed blocking fabric is to kill all vegetation (Round Up or Weed B Gon), rake up any debris, broadcast a corn gluten based pre-emergent herbicide, lay the fabric, anchor it down, then cover with a layer of bark or rock. I think if you hit those weeds with a weed killer this spring and summer, next year should be weed free. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"