low maintenance plants - Knowledgebase Question

largo, Fl
Question by chelioo2
I want to get some plants that are low maintenance for my mobile home that that faces northeast and is mostly shady.Something that is fairly compact and is attractive all year round.Where can I buy these plants and when is the best time to plant them and the best way to do it THANKS

0

Some well behaved plants that do well in the shade include Fatsia (Fatsia japonica), Ligustrum (Ligustrum spp.), Mahonia (Mahonia spp.), Nandina (Nandina domestica) Pittosporum (Pittosporum tabira,) Azalea (Rhododendron spp.). I'd choose Nandina or Pittosporum for low maintenance or Azalea if you'd like some seasonal flowers. Home Depot garden centers carry these and other shade loving plants. Expect to see new plants arriving at the garden center in March and April, which is a good time to plant them. When planting, dig a hole as deep and slightly wider than the nursery container. Tip the plant and container on its side and gently slide it out, then set it in the hole and backfill with soil. Water deeply to help settle the soil and be sure to water once or twice a week (depending upon weather) to help the roots establish in your garden. Best wishes with your new plants!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"