Palm Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Cape Coral, Fl
Question by natandp1
With the recent cold spell we had in Florida, my palm trees are very brown and I am not sure if they will actually come back.Do you think palms can survive the cold?

0

Some palms are more cold hardy than others and whether or not the marginal ones will survive a freeze really depends upon the duration of the freezing temperatures and how established the palms might be. It's possible that only the fronds were affected - they are the least hardy. Deep within the fronds, at the tip of the trunk is the growth bud where all new fronds develop. With any luck the growing buds of your trees were unharmed and new fronds will emerge later this spring. Only time will tell. In the meantime, I'd leave the old dead fronds alone. If we have more cold weather they will help to insulate the tree from additional damage. When you see new growth you can prune away the frost-bitten fronds. Let's keep our fingers crossed that your palms will recover!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"