Red Raspberries - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Margaret Jaeger
Gilbert, Ar
Question by jaegerx4
Hi, I purchased a 4 pack of berries at Home Depot and I wanted some basic tips on how to best help them get established. Blueberries and red raspberries were in my pack. Any info you could give me would be great.

Brambles (raspberries/blackberries) will grow in full sunshine and do best with flood irrigation rather than drip irrigation. When you plant your brambles, make a raised row by trenching the soil on either side of the proposed planting area and piling up the soil to make a mound. Then when it's time to water, flood the trenches and the roots will happily take up the water. I always amend my soil with organic matter to loosen it up a bit and to provide nutrients to the plant's roots as the organic matter decomposes. You can do the same by mixing compost with the earth and then piling it up in a row or a mound. Brambles will need some support so drive a couple of stakes into the ground 4-5' apart and string wires between them so you can train the canes upright as they grow. Blueberries really require highly acidic soils, something that's hard to come by in the low desert. You may have better success with your blueberry plants if you plant them in containers fill with potting soil into which you mix some peat moss. Give them morning sun but shade from hot afternoon summer sunshine. In the fall, winter and spring you can move them to a garden spot where they get all day sunshine but from April through August they will need afternoon shade. Hope this answers all your questions. Good luck with your edible landscape!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"