Nutsedge? - Knowledgebase Question

Houston, Te
Question by Bevgreen
my lawn has what I believe it nutsedge. It is a grass that spreads much like my St Augustine and is impossible to weed or pull out due to the root system. How can I eliminate it?

Nutsedge is a water-loving relative of reeds and its appearance in a lawn is often a sign of overwatering or poor drainage. Correct these problems to help control it. Nutsedge becomes a persistent weed once it gets a start spreading underground by rhizomes, as well as small nut-like tubers that establish new plants when you pull out the main plant. The best organic method is to continue to pull the plants, every 2-3 days, removing every visible crown or stem. If you pull them out as soon as they are visible, the plants will use up all their underground stored carbohydrates as they try to grow new aboveground stems. The more you pull them, the more they use up their energy reserves. Eventually, you get ahead and the stand of weeds dies out. If you slip up and allow some of the crowns and stems to reach full size, they again start storing food and energy to return. If you choose to use an herbicide, you might consider glyphosate sold under several brand labels. It can be used on nutsedge with good success, but it will also kill your lawn if just sprayed over the top. Some people paint the glyphosate by hand onto the nutsedge plants which will kill the stems and stun the roots. You must be persistent as new stems will keep popping up until the roots run out of stored energy. There are other products available labeled specifically for control of nutsedge in lawns, but they will like take multiple applications as well. With any herbicide, read the label carefully for instructions and application rates.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"