chicken manure - Knowledgebase Question

Huntsville, Te
Question by couchpotatoe
Hey Skip, I've got some tomatillos and bell peppers sprouting and a buddy of mine said I could use his plot to grow them if I wanted. He has chickens and uses their manure for fertilizer, but I've heard chicken manure is pretty hot. I was wondering if there is something I can add to be able to use the manure for it's nutrients but not let it burn the seedlings.

0

It's true, fresh chicken manure is too hot for plants so I wouldn't put it in the planting hole or spread it around new plants. If the manure is already in the soil, it should be mellow enough for your plants. Just to make sure, cultivate the planting area really well, and work in some compost or other organic material in for good measure. Hope you have a great garden!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"