concord grapes - Knowledgebase Question

Poland, Ma
Question by ruth_annjh
I just bought a house with a large vine of concord grapes on the lawn. I would like to know how to prune it. I would also like to direct the vines in a different direction. (they are growing up my porch, and breaking the sides). Thank you

Grapes produce fruit on new shoots that develop from old wood. You can cut back most of last year's wood, leaving at least two bud scars on each cane. This is where new fruiting wood will develop. There are many books on the subject. If you're new to growing and pruning grapes, you may want some in-depth instructions. Try the book 'Pruning' by Christopher Brickell (ISBN#0-671-65841-7) for step by step pruning. Grapes are quite easy to care for. Be sure they get plenty of sunlight and are watered regularly, especially during the summer months when fruits are developing and ripening. Don't fertilize or you'll get lots of rank growth at the expense of fruit. Prune them back when they get out of hand, and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"