Cold damaged Sagos - Knowledgebase Question

Starke, Fl
Question by farnsworth_c
We have had some very cold nights in my area. A majority of the fronds on my sagos are brown and damaged. When should prune them? I have seen many sagos trimmed almost bare. Any tips you can give me for preparing my sagos for the spring would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lots of gardeners rush to remove winter damaged foliage but I usually wait until I'm sure the weather will stay warm. Never know when Jack Frost might visit again! Wait until March and then remove the obviously dead fronds. It won't hurt the sago at all - dead leaves are not converting sunlight to energy for the plant. But, if there's any green left at all in the leaf, it is providing carbohydrates to the roots of the plant. Leave anything green alone and remove anything dead. You might be surprised just how quickly your sago develops new leaves to replace the winter damaged ones. Just water as usual and wait for your sago to respond to the warm weather. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"