Tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

San Antonio, Te
Question by smiling_atth
Grew tons of great tomatoes in CA in sandy soil, here they constantly die, wilt. I got rid of everything, sterilized tools. Thinking about upside down planter for my balcony. Good idea?

You may be planting at the wrong time of the year. In San Antonio and surrounding areas, we grow two crops of tomatoes, spring and fall. Spring tomato transplants are planted on St. Valentine's Day and fall tomato transplants are planted mid- to late-July. Planting at these times helps avoid the hot summer months.

You can grow your tomatoes in containers. I'd use 5-gallon containers for full sized plants and 3-gallon for smaller plants such as patio type tomatoes. I'm not a fan of the upside-down planters. They are difficult to water if the soil dries out too much and the fact that they are hung in the sun makes the roots susceptible to overheating. I'd stick with the traditional planting methods!

Best wishes with your tomatoes this year. Hope you have a bountiful crop!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"