tree damaged - Knowledgebase Question

HERNDON, Vi
Question by alexdeac2010
Hello
I live in Herndon, Va and because all the heavy snowfall we got so far one of my trees got damaged. I'm talking about a japanese maple tree about 3ft tall that got a crack right were all 3 main branches merge together. The crack is vertical about 2in deep. I tried to hold it togheter with some zip-ties and I'm wondering if there is any sort of mastic that can glued the branches? thanks!

0

Actually, what you've done is just fine. With any luck at all the wound will heal over and everything will grow together - stronger than before because of the callous your tree will develop. There's no glue or sticky substance you can (or should) apply to hold the pieces together. Zip ties are fine but you'll have to watch them carefully. If new growth is restricted, there will be damage to the bark which will always remain. An alternative to the zip ties is making a splint out of wooden stakes to hold everything together, placing them where the tree needs support and then wrapping them with wire all around to keep them snug around the trunk. The advantage of wire over zip ties is that you can loosen the wire slightly if it gets too tight. With the zip ties you'll need to remove them and replace them with new ones. Either way, if your tree is going to heal you should see some signs of improvement by the end of the summer. Good luck with your maple!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"