Pruning Little Gem Magnolia - Knowledgebase Question

Richmond, Vi
Question by stuartp123
My 8 year old Litle Gem is 12 ft. tall but very spindly. Planted in partial shade. Question: When and How do I prune to generate a fuller tree; how much can I cut it back without killing it? thanks.

Little Gem magnolia is a slow growing cultivar and will tolerat part shade. Spindly growth usually indicates not enough sunlight so you might want to watch the sun's pattern and make sure your tree is getting at least 4 hours of direct sunshine each day. The more sunlight it receives, the sturdier the branches will be. You can safely prune it back by about one third. Removing more than this will stress the tree further. As it matures it will take on a more stately look, especially if you prune it back a bit which encourages healthy new growth. Good luck with your tree.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"