Bachelor Button seeds - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
I recently started bachelor button seeds indoors with intentions of transplanting outdoors later. However, I just read that starting them indoors is not a good idea as they do not transplant well. Is this true? Thank you.

It is true that bachelor buttons do not transplant well but if you're extra careful, there's no reason that you cannot have success. When the seedlings are about 6 weeks old, they're mature enough to go outdoors. If you started yours in trays, you'll want to cut squares around each plant and lift the square, roots and all, set it in a planting hole so that it will be growing at the same soil level as it was in the tray. If you started yours in individual pots, gently slide them out and set them in the planting hole at the same soil depth as they were growing before. The most important thing is not to bury the stem - it will rot. After planting, provide a few days of shade by erecting a temporary sun screen over the plants. Once the roots are well established they will be able to take full sunshine. I usually drive a few stakes in the ground near the plants and drape some old window screen over the stakes to protect my transplants from the sun. In 4-5 days you can remove the sunscreen. Good luck with your bachelor buttons.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"