Should I aerate before I see? - Knowledgebase Question

College Park, Ge
Question by swillis2
There are very large areas in my backyard that need grass. Should I aerate the yard before I fertilize and seed. I have already done a soil test. I have several pinetrees in my backyard.

0

It's common practice to aerate first, then overseed, then feed. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. You can then overseed your entire lawn. After the lawn has been mowed 3 times, the new grass will be ready for feeding. You can then fertilize your entire lawn. Best wishes with your turfgrass.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"