bare root fruit - Knowledgebase Question

ST. PETERS, Mi
Question by jstreet766
bought strawberries(Sequoia) and bluecrop blueberries bare root from HD..zone 5. how do i start them now?? thanks for your help!!!

0

Bare root plants can be planted in the late winter (now). I know they look pathetic but as the weather warms they will sprout new leaves. Plant both in full sunshine, in rich, well draining soils. Set the strawberry crowns just at soil level with the roots gently spread out. I plant mine by making small mounds of soil, set the crown at soil level, drape the roots out over the mound and then cover the roots with an additional 2-3 inches of soil. This way the runners will radiate out from the crown and have a nice place to sprawl. Blueberries grow best in a highly acidic soil so mix some peat moss into the soil before planting them. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"