Growing first citrus tree - Knowledgebase Question

rialto, Ca
Question by pepper1371
I have purchased a valencia orange tree in a plasitic pot. Would like to recieve tips on mulch, fertilizer food when to water etc.Any tips would be appreciated.

Citrus trees are easy to grow! Choose a sunny site and dig a planting hole as deep and slightly wider than the nursery pot. Set your new tree on its side and gently coax it out of the nursery pot, tickle the roots a little with your fingers to help them spread out a bit, then set the tree into the planting hole. Your goal is to have the tree sitting at the same soil level as it was in the nursery pot so add or remove soil as required so the tree is sitting at the correct level. Then backfill the planting hole with the soil you dug out of the hole. Tamp it down and water your tree well to help settle the soil. At this point I usually make a watering basin around my newly planted trees by mounding up a few inches of soil all around, about 12 inches from the trunk of the tree. Use this watering basin to water your tree by filling it, allowing it to drain, then filling it a second time. Watering in this way will concentrate the moisture directly over the root mass, allowing it to trickle down and wet the entire root system. You'll need to water your tree deeply once each week until the summer weather gets hot. At that time you may need to water twice a week to keep the soil uniformly moist but not soggy wet. Citrus trees are usually fed 3-4 times a year with a citrus food fertilizer. Apply with the frequency and in amounts as listed on the fertilizer label, which differ with the size and age of the tree. Your tree should produce fruit 2-3 years after being planted. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"