Purple Carrots - Knowledgebase Question

Fair Oaks, CA
Question by dthurmon
I just learned that purple carrots have been cultivated in Afghanistan for a thousand years, and that white and yellow carrots were common in Northern Europe before the 1600's. Apparently some seed companies are working to re-introduce these colorful varieties. What are their names please, and can I buy them through your catalogue?

0

The seeds of these colorful carrots are not yet available, but experimental crops have been grown by the horticulture specialists at University of Wisconsin. You can get a copy of their studies by contacting them directly: Dept. of Hort, U of WI, 1575 Linden Dr., Madison, WI 53706. Phone 608 262-4743. Their trials of novelty carrots began in 1996 and each carrot type has a code name, i.e. B7262 Afghan purple carrot. Perhaps they can direct you to a seed source.