Tulips - Knowledgebase Question

Mesa, Ar
Question by staceydavid
I live in Mesa, AZ. I am planting tulips red and yellow for the first time. They are already flowering. I am a beginner . What advice would you give. They will be going into 2 pots by my front door. Thanks. Stacey

If you purchased tulips already in bloom, I wouldn't go through the trouble of trying to transplant them into other pots. Instead, just set the nursery pots into your decorative pots near the front door. Tulips are early spring blooming bulbs. After they have finished blooming you can cut off the spent flower and flower stem but allow the foliage to die down on its own. The leaves will transport energy to the bulb, where it will be stored for next spring's bloom. When the foliage dies down you can cut it off the bulb, then lift the bulbs and store them in a cool, dark place until next September. In September place the bulbs in your refrigerator for 12 weeks, then plant them in your pots near the front door. They will flower for you next year at this time. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"