Planting Onions - Knowledgebase Question

Santee, Ca
Question by tinaklickp
I recently purchased a bag of onions & found one that began to sprout, I did notice that a small prortion of the onion is dark. I would like to take advantage of this, but how do I plant it?
Please Help in Lakeside, CA.

If you purchased a bag of onion sets from the garden center, it sounds like your little onion sets are ready to grow and you can plant them out in the garden now. Sets or transplants should be planted outdoors in early spring about two inches apart and one to two inches deep, and then eventually thinned to be about four inches apart (for larger bulbing type onions). If you purchased a bag of onions from the grocery store, I wouldn't bother trying to plant them. They are mature and the bulb will simply dissolve as the new green foliage appears. Instead of planting, cut off the dark (rotting) area and eat the rest of the onion.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"