Preparing the Soil - Knowledgebase Question

College Park, Ge
Question by swillis2
I plan to aerate my entire backyard. Half has grass, the other half is bald due to pinetrees. After aerating,what will be the best way to distribute sand through out the yard to prepare for seeding? Should I only distribute it in areas that are missing grass?

A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. I just use a fertilizer spreader to apply the sand or compost. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. You can then overseed your entire lawn. It's difficult to get lawn to grow in the shade of pine trees so you may need to overseed every two years to keep the lawn green in those areas. Grass doesn't like to grow in the shade (tall fescue and some bermudas are more shade tolerant than other grass types) and the roots of the trees usually suck up the moisture so the area needs to be watered more frequently than the rest of the lawn. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"