Moro Blood Orange Tree (dwarf) - Knowledgebase Question

Name: k g
lakewood, Ca
Question by ksgdlh
Hello, thanks in advance for your help. I'm looking to invest in a dwarf Moro Blood Orange tree from Home Depot. My intent is to keep it containerized. Can you advise me on how soon I will need to transplant to a more permanent container and how to choose an appropriate size? Can I assume larger container = larger tree?

A dwarf fruit tree will grow happily in a container. I'd start with a more mature tree - one in a five gallon container so you'll get fruit sooner - and plan on repotting into a much larger container such as a half wine barrel. Use a 50/50 mixture of garden soil and potting soil. The garden soil for weight to help balance the top of the tree and the potting soil to help the garden soil drain well and remain loose. Don't use straight garden soil. It can be hard to keep adequately moist. Set your tree in a sunny spot. It shouldn't need repotting for many years. The only caution about growing trees in containers is that you need to be careful when feeding. If you overfeed you can burn the roots. I'd use half the recommended rate of fertilizer and feed only once a year. Any Citrus Food fertilizer will be fine for your tree. Best wishes with your orange tree!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"