camellias - Knowledgebase Question

patchogue, Ne
Question by jmcdsmp
I live in Long Island, NY. I want to use camellia for a hedge. I like the double blooms. I would like fragrance. Color not as important. So many varieties, what would you recomend? I have a second question. I was looking on line and had seen some hardiness zones 7a and 7b. I have never seen that before. Does 7a represent the southern part of the zone? Thank you.

0

The USDA gardening zones each represent a 10 degree F difference in low temperatures; assigning them an A or a B simply divides them further. ?A? is the lower temperature end of the zone, and a ?B?, the higher. This information is helpful if you are choosing a plant that's marginal for your zone.

There are only a handful of really fragrant camellias. Minato-no-Akebono, which has pink flowers with decorative yellow stamens and strong fragrance; Minoto-no-Haru, with vivid pink and fragrant flowers; and Kato-no-Kaori, which has small rose-pink flowers are among the most popular.

Fragrant hybrids with flowers other than in the single form include High Fragrance with shell pink, peony-form flowers; Scentuous, a parent of High Fragrance, which has miniature to small, loose peony-form flowers that are white with pink near the edges; and Souza's Pavlova, which has clear pink, medium peony-form flowers.

An older Japonica variety, Kramer's Supreme, combines strikingly large red flowers with mild fragrance. Fragrant Pink is another aromatic variety, with loose peony form blossoms of deep pink. Sweet Emily Kate produces blush pink loose peony-form flowers that shade to pale pink in their centers.

Hope this information is helpful!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"