Plants that coexist with Redwood roots - Knowledgebase Question

Carmichael, Ca
Question by cwoods331
My neighbors redwoods have invaded my property and made it impossible to grow berries. What plants do you suggest that can coexist with the redwood mat I have to deal with?

0

It's difficult to get plants to grow beneath redwood trees because the trees cast a lot of shade and the soil is generally dry and acidic. Shallow, aggressive roots from the trees will compete with roots of other plants for moisture and nutrients, and the competition can be enough to starve out other plants. You might have better success if you think of it as a woodland area and plant things that duplicate nature's planting in a redwood forest. Rhododendrons are good choices, as are ferns, huckleberry, sorrel, California bay laurel, and Pacific Starflower (Trientalis latifolia). Camellias and azaleas will grow there, too, especially if you install a soaker hose to ensure the roots of these plants get adequate water. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"