mixing Grapes with Raspberries - Knowledgebase Question

Cedar Hills, Ut
Question by glennmcmurtr
two seasons ago I built a garden box on the West side of my deck. I planted 3 grapes and 3 raspberries at the end of the grapes. They are all doing very well. But I worry the raspberries are crowding our or blocking sun from the grape roots. The grapes are growing up the deck. Should I transplant the raspberries now or can they all grow together and all will be ok? thanks

The tops of the grape plants need sunshine, not the roots so as long as everything is growing well, there's no reason to remove the raspberries. You will want to watch them both carefully, though, because the raspberries can overtake the bed in a few short years. They spread their roots out and then send up sprouts - sometimes where you least expect to see them. If you can't keep a cautious eye on them, you may want to move the raspberries to their own planter box so they can grow at will without the possiblility of eventually crowding out the roots of your grapevines. Good luck with your edible landscape!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"