Stumped - Knowledgebase Question

Sacramento, Ca
Question by shauntayd
Hello
I would like to add plants to my small patio area. I live in Sacramento CA and my patio only gets about 4 to 5 hours of sun a day ( a lot of shadows).Can you let me know the best plants to get started? I would like to use potted plants because my patio is mostly concrete. I like big dramatic plants and some flowers for color. Thanks!

0

Most plants will adapt to growing containers so your only restriction will be finding plants that grow well in partly sunny/partly shady conditions. Some to consider include columbine, alstroemeria, acanthus, foxglove, hosta, agapanthus, Black-Eyed Susans (rudbeckia hirta); Clary Sage (Salvia scalerea); Purple Coneflower (Echinacea;) Yarrow (Achillea;) 'Autumn Joy' or 'Vera Jameson' Sedum; 'Stella D'Oro' Daylilies (Hemerocallis 'Stella D'Oro'). You can fill in bare spaces by planting colorful annuals such as lobelia and impatiens. Enjoy your colorful garden!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"