thistles - Knowledgebase Question

Motley, Mi
Question by asandhoff
I live on 10 acres with horses, agoat, cats and dogs. I have a tremendous problem with thistles and I need help with eradication.

0

Thistles are both biennial and perennial so you'll have a fight on your hands for several years, even if you resort to powderful chemicals. The best eradication method is digging the weeds, roots and all, and mowing them down before they flower and set seeds of the next generation. You can try flaming them if you can't mow frequently enough to keep them cut down. Flamers work well if you just brush the flame over the surface of the plant. The heat will cause the moisture within the cells to burst which will kill the plant. If you actually incinerate the weeds they will simply grow back. I hope one or both of these methods work well for you.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"