Yucca House Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Johnston, Rh
Question by christinagar
I bought a Yucca Plant a couple of weeks ago at Home Depot. I just spotted little magget like worms in the soil. I know they can infect my other plants cause last year I bought a bag of potting soil from H.D. and I had to throw out almost all my plants. I don't want that to happen again! Please tell me how to get rid of these pests. Do I take it back? Or can I get rid of them?

0

Little white worms in potting soil are actually quite normal and natural. They are feeding on the organic matter which is their job - they are helping to recycle the organic matter. They won't move out of the soil or infest your home. If you'd rather not have them in the soil you can unpot the plant, brush off all the old potting soil and replace it with fresh potting soil. Or you can use a soil drench such as Merit to rid the soil of the worms.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"