Planting fig trees - Knowledgebase Question

Roanoke, Vi
Question by tnt2401
I want to introduce fig trees to my garden area and want to know what tips you would recommend for succussful trees.

Fig trees are easy to grow in warm climates but they may need extra care in your growing region. They need to be planted in an area where they will receive full sun, at least eight hours a day. They should be spaced at least ten feet apart from other trees. The average fig tree will grow to be ten feet tall and ten feet wide.

Fig trees have a cold hardiness temperature of ten to twenty degrees Fahrenheit. If planted in colder regions it is recommended that they be kept in containers that can be brought indoors during the winter. Depending on how cold your garden gets, covering them with burlap may suffice.

When planting a young fig tree, be sure to place it in the hole with the top of the root ball at ground level. Use rich soil with at least 1/3 humus mixed in. After replacing the soil, mound up additional soil to form a water basin. Water the tree thoroughly and then cover the area with mulch.

Newly planted fig trees must be kept well watered until they have become completely established. After that they should only need to be watered in times of drought. Avoid over watering as a soggy plant will cause the fruit to split. Fertilize the tree every spring just before the new growth begins.

Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"