urban raised beds - Knowledgebase Question

New York, Ne
Question by rebekah_meek

My organization is planning on beginning an urban community garden in a courtyard. The courtyard has a concrete surface and we are trying to research how to build a raised bed and drainage system. How can we design a drainage system for the a conrete courtyard?

It shouldn't be too difficult to incorporate drainage pipes in your raised beds, but determining where to drain the excess water might be a problem. If you can build your raised beds near a wall you can group the PVC drainage pipes together behind the raised beds (so no one trips on them), then direct the flow by raising the pipes at one end and lowering them at the opposite end so they can flow out to a catch basin. Without seeing the proposed area, it's difficult for me to design a drainage system. You might want to enlist the help of a local Master Gardener or Cooperative Extension Agent. Contact Cornell University Cooperative Extension, 16 East 34th Street, New York, NY 10016-4370, (212) 340-2800. Ask for a Master Gardener and explain your project - or better yet, take photos of the site to share. I'm sure there's someone local who can help. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"