scale - Knowledgebase Question

brookfield, Wi
Question by aignacio001
I have a creeping euyonomous (spelling), that is covered with scale and in the fall, many leaves yellowed and fell off (it always stayed green through winter). What should I treat it with, when, and will it kill the plant? It is about 35 years old and quite large. Thank you

Euonymus scale is difficult to control. Generally you can spray the soft crawler stage with insecticidal soap. Then, later on, use a dormant oil spray to smother the overwintering scale. You must spray all portions of the plant from top to bottom including undersides of the foliage. It helps to prune out the worst infested branches and thin the plant before you try to spray it. Your local county extension (Milwaukee County Cooperative Extension, 9501 West Watertown Plank Road, Wauwatosa - (414) 256-4600) should be able to help you identify the pest specifically and may also have control recommendations. (For instance, there might be a combination of scale insect and canker, as well.) Whatever product you use, make sure to read and carefully follow all of the label directions for best results.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"