Pumpkin Growing - Knowledgebase Question

Carteret, Ne
Question by diedos1788
I need help? I wanted to start a pumpkin patch this year and I just wanted to know if i could start the plant indoors? Another question. How do I take care of it take care of it? Thanks.

First start with the soil. To grow big pumpkins, you need to amend the soil heavily with compost and composted manure. Cover the area with black plastic about 2 weeks before planting to heat up the soil. Then 4 weeks before your last frost date, start the seed indoors, under lights. When ready to set them outside, cover the young seedling with a floating row cover to protect them from the might cold and wind. Keep the row cover on until the vines begin to run. Water well, and fertilize weekly with a complete fertilizer such as Miracle Grow. Let only 2 pumpkins set per vine and prune off all the others. By fall you should have some real prizewinners in your garden.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"