hydrangea not blooming - Knowledgebase Question

stewartsville, Ne
Question by mamaz2349
my hydrangea bloomed the first year but the next year?

In general, hydrangeas do best in a rich, moist yet well drained (not soggy) soil and appreciate some extra water during hot dry periods in the summer. However, there are several types of hydrangeas, and without knowing which type you have it's a bit difficult to make a guess as to why it's not blooming. Some hyrdrangeas, such as the oak leafed, do not bloom all that well at an early age and will not bloom following a severe winter. Other types, such as the macrophylla (big leaf), bloom only on old wood and should not be pruned except in spring immediately after flowering. If the big leaf type is killed to the ground during the winter, it will not bloom the following year. Still others, such as the smooth hydrangea "Annabelle", bloom on new growth and do best if cut down very short each spring. I hope you have some blooms this year!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"