Exterminating Ground Cover Ivy - Knowledgebase Question

Fullerton, Ca
Question by nancyjleonar
We have a hillside covered with ivy. It was all pulled and replanted with other ground cover. Now the ivy is coming back. How do I get rid of the ivy...large waxy leaves?

0

Wish there were an easy solution! Ivy has waxy foliage that is impervious to most herbicides. Roundup does have a limited effect when spot-applied directly to freshly cut stems. I'm afraid persistence is the key. If you cannot grub the plants out by the roots, cut the stems as soon as they appear but before the leaves unfurl. Paint the cut stem with Roundup. If you allow the stems to develop leaves, the leaves will transport energy back to the roots and as they gain strength they will send up lots more stems. So keep everything cut back and sprayed consistently. It took me 3 years but I finally got the best of it in my landscape. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "