Fast growing trees as noise barrier - Knowledgebase Question

Question by southboundbe
Albuquerque, NM I built a wall to hide the interstate and now the noise reverberating off of the house and walls is worse. What fast growing trees/shrubs/vines can I plant in FULL SUN to help soften the noise level (or other thoughts)? I planted Leyland Cypress along the wall and they are fine, but the others died when planted in full sun--something that will grow quickly!

Excellent plants for traditional hedges include evergreens such as boxwood (Buxus), oleander (Nerium), yew (Taxus), arborvitae (Thuja), and hemlock (Tsuga). Deciduous hedge plants include Japanese barberry (Berberis), and privet (Ligustrum). Be sure to check the USDA Climate Hardiness Zone of each plant and compare it to the zone where you live.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"