pruning our Lady Banks Rose vine - Knowledgebase Question

brownsboro, Al
Question by robin86
We've moved into a house with an overgrown LBanks vine with 4 main stalks growing up a trellis and over a pergola. What's the best way to clean it up before Spring? I'd like it to stay close to architech. structure, and keep it's length as much as possible. Thanks!

Lady Banks can be pruned back hard without harm. You can remove up to one third of the live material on the plant in any one pruning session. If you need to reduce the size of the plant more than that, plan on doing it over a 2-3 year period. I'd start by completely removing one of the main stems and then reducing the height of the remaining plant by a third. Next year you can do the same. Eventually you'll get it under control. Enjoy your landscape!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"