Dieing Dracaena - Knowledgebase Question

Lancaster, Ne
Question by Datigger72
I had purchased this plant last year in september and it was doing great, but now the leaves are turning yellow and brown and the plant is lifeless. It is watered 2-3 times a week and is in a wide open space. What do i do to stop it from dieing?

It's difficult to diagnose a plant problem without actually seeing it so I'm not sure I can help. If nothing has changed in terms of the location, your watering habits, etc. I can only guess that it is a root problem and you won't be able to tell by looking at the plant. Instead, you'll need to examine the root system. Healthy roots are creamy white inside; rotting roots will be rusty colored or slimy black. Break a couple of the roots and look inside. If the roots are rotting it's due to overwatering or poorly draining soils. You may be able to cut away any dead or dying roots and replant your dracaena. With any luck it will recover and perk right up. I hope yours does!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"