At a loss! - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, No
Question by RorySilvia
I moved into a house and I don't know what I'm doing! We have pear trees, flowering trees, many different shrub species and vines, as well as a variety of ground cover and flowering plants. I'm starting to feel like I'm in a jungle. What is the best way to get started not knowing what half the things are? Or how to care for them?

I think the best approach is to make a note on your calendar when each of your plants bloom. This will give you some clue as to when to prune them (immediately after the flowers are spent). Then take a few samples of each plant to a nursery and compare them with what's there. You may be able to identify them that way. If not, ask the nursery staff for assistance. They may be able to identify the plants for you. It will take some time but once you've given names to each of your plants you can look them up in a book or on the internet to learn more about them. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"