Indoor Flower Gardening - Knowledgebase Question

New York, Ne
Question by tuckereilee
Hi! I am looking to start an indoor garden so that when the weather warms up (I live in NYC) I can move the plants to my outdoor flower boxes. I just moved to NYC, and am missing my large outdoor garden, and am not as familiar with indoor plants as I am outdoor. Any suggestions on what materials I would need to start an indoor garden including which seeds would be best would be helpful! THANK YOU!

There's no reason you cannot start your seeds indoors and then transfer the pots outdoors when the weather warms. You can either start the seeds in trays and transplant them into your outdoor pots, or sow the seeds directly in the pots you plan to use. Flower seeds are the easiest to start. Most need only moist soil and average household temperatures to sprout, light and water. If you don't have a sunny window or sliding glass door where you can set the pots, plan on supplementing with artificial light until your plants can go outdoors. Use potting soil to fill your pots and make sure the pots have adequate drainage holes on the bottom so excess water can freely drain. I start my seeds in trays under shop lights. Not attractive, but very efficient. When they have 3-4 sets of leaves I transplant them into individual pots. You can do the same or you can group the seedlings into larger pots. Each will need adequate space in which to grow to their fullest potential so try not to overcrowd them. If you use artificial light, keep the lights on 14=16 hours per day. Hope you have a colorful patio garden!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"