Planting Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Canyon Lake, Te
Question by bdrain82
We live at Canyon Lake, and we are looking to plant a shade tree, we'd prefer an evergreen, that won't have disease prob. which tree would you recommend. I love the live oak look, but am terrified of oak wilt. We have a ton of rock to deal with, but we'd like to do this fairly soon, from your recommendations this is when to plant trees. I'd love to hear what your recommendations are, thank you.

There are lots of suitable shade trees from which to choose. I'd plant in the spring. Here are a few suggestions for you to consider:
Anacua (Ehretia anacua), a medium sized evergreen which is drought tolerant. It's a native tree with gnarled trunk and sandpapery leaves.

Bluewood (Condalia hookeri), a small evergreen that attracts birds.

Texas Ebony (Pithecellobium flexicaule) a medium, evergreen, very drought tolerant native.

American Holly (Ilex opaca), a medium sized evergreen - a striking landscape tree, can be used as a screen.

La Coma (Bumelia celastrina), a small evergreen tree which is a close relative of the more cold-tolerant Gum Bumelia

Carolina Laurelcherry (Prunus caroliniana) is a medium sized evergreen that makes a good verticla screen; requires well-drained soil.

Texas Mountain-Laurel (Sophora secundiflora ), a small evergreen with outstanding spring blooms - highly drought tolerant once established.

For even more suggestions, visit the Texas Forestry website: http://texastreeplanting.tamu....
Click on a tree of interest and you'll get a photo plus characteristics of that tree.

Best wishes with your new tree!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"