gardening - Knowledgebase Question

Chandler, Ar
Question by rpmiller3
I am getting ready to plant some tomotoe's in my raised garden. Should I place them next to my east wall or my west wall? Are there any complimentary plants I can plant with them? How much water should they receive?

Tomatoes can benefit from shelter from the hot summer sunshine. Plant them where they will receive some mid-afternoon shade rather than where they will get hot sunshine and reflected heat from a wall. Generally tomatoes don't want to have to compete with other plants for water and nutrients but you can plant low growing veggies at the base of your plants if space is a problem. Otherwise, just plant them by themselves. You'll need to flood the soil once or twice a week to give your tomatoes enough water to grow and develop fruits. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"