Cutting back plants - Knowledgebase Question

Question by cindylitwin
I live in Clearwater, FL and alot of the plants have turned brown but I can see green on the stems due to the unseasonably cold weather we've had (and still have). Should these plants be trimmed back and if so how far back? Could you recommend some low maintenance plants, shrubs & palms for this zone? We need some colorful plants to mix in. Cindy Litwinski

You can safely remove the damaged plant parts now, especially since you see new growth. You'll want to make room for that new growth! Just prune them back far enough to remove any winter damage.

As for plant suggestions, the University of Florida has a publication you might find helpful. It has a huge list of suitable plants, along with their descriptions and mature sizes. Here's the web address:

Hope you find the information helpful!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"