hyacinth bulbs producing foliage in late summer - Knowledgebase Question

Milwaukee, WI
Question by feegis
In the last week of August, my grape hyacinths began to emerge. They are still growing. I planted them last fall, and they bloomed this past spring. Will they bloom this fall, and more importantly will they bloom again next spring?

0

It's odd for winter-flowering bulbs to begin producing foliage in late summer, but it's not unheard-of. For some reason the bulbs thought they got a long enough chill, and now are producing foliage. Leave the foliage until it yellows and withers naturally. The leaves manufacture food for the bulb and help it store energy for next season's burst of color. The foliage from your bulbs may grow to maturity, and the bulb may wait until later in the year to produce blooms. Or, you may get some off-season blooms. Either way, the bulbs will eventually get back into the proper blooming cycle.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"