Re-doing flower bed - Knowledgebase Question

Memphis, Te
Question by awoods93
My flower bed is in need of much attention. There are a lot of weeds and grass taking over. My question is: What is the best way to remove them and prevent them from coming back? Also, what is the best way to choose a border? Is it my choice based on what will compliment the front of the house? HELP!!! This a new project for me. Thanks

0

I think the best approach is to completely remove everything in the flower bed. Save the plants you want to put back but dig out everything else. The roots of the weeds should be pulled out, as well. Once the bed is clean and clear of weeds you can spread 4-5 inches of compost or other organic matter over the bed and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Level the bed and either completely cover it with weed block fabric or plan on covering over it with several inches of organic matter after you've planted your flowers. I'd vote for covering it with weed block fabric and then cutting slits or X's in the fabric to plant your plants. This will absolutely keep weeds from growing in the bed for many years to come.

If you decide to spread organic mulch instead of using the weed blocking fabric, level the bed, plant your plants and then cover the bare soil between the plants with 3-4 inches of compost. This organic matter will help keep weed seeds from germinating.

You can choose any material at all for a border. Concrete, plastic, wood, bricks, etc. are all long lasting materials. Choose something you think will look nice near your house - either a similar color or a contrasting color to the color of your house. Hope this answers all your questions!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "