having trouble growing grass - Knowledgebase Question

Louisville, Ke
Question by djewell2009
My backyard does not have any grass ,just in one spot. I have try everything I even tried Ky 31 fescue and it did nothing I need something for heavy traffic and an large dog. Help me I'm tried of walking in a hold lot of mud and my shoes getting stuck.

0

Not many turfgrasses will tolerate heavy traffic. Fescue and Kentucky Blue are the best in that regard. I wonder if the real solution is to lay sod? Since sod comes with an established root system, it should take hold rather quickly and because it is already thick and dense, it should hold up under heavy foot traffic. You'll want to prepare the soil before laying sod. Rototill it up and spread 4-5 inches of compost over the top, then rototill again. This will help prevent compaction. Soil that's compacted won't allow root growth. If installing sod is not an option, you might want to try growing a groundcover such as carpet bugle rather than turfgrass. Best wishes with your yard!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"