Pepper Cross-Pollination - Knowledgebase Question

Felicity, Oh
Question by ericwoodall
I want to grow peppers in my garden this year. I also want to save the seeds from what I grow. I want to plant several varieties of hot peppers as well as some sweet peppers. I have read that peppers cross-pollinate very easily so I would like to know if planting several varieties of peppers is a bad idea.

For the most part, peppers are self=pollinating but occasionally a flower can be cross pollinated because of to insect activity. When this happens the seeds will be affected, but not the peppers from the current crop. Saving pepper seeds can mean that you may end up with a different pepper than you expected. Distance between plants can help you avoid cross pollination, and sometimes planting peppers in different parts of the yard can help reduce cross pollination, but if your neighbor is growing peppers, or you have several different types of peppers in your own garden, you run the risk of producing a cross pollinated pepper if you save the seeds. You can carefully seal the flowers closed so no insects can access them, or you can just take your chances and see what develops.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"