Lawn care/grass - Knowledgebase Question

yuba city, Ca
Question by peggyelaine5
I have had great lawn for 15 years; fecus grass in hot nothern Calif. In the last two years, there is a type of grass from the neighbors yard that is taking over my's a vine like grass that grows and travel underneat the fecus and appears to wrap aound the fecus and takes ove... Is there anything to stop this growth without starting over with new a new lawn...Thanks, Peggy

I can't tell from your description whether it's a turfgrass such as St. Augustine or a weed such as crabgrass that is invading your lawn. Crabgrass is a warm season weed and it dies out during the winter months and the seeds the weeds left will sprout in the spring. If it is crabgrass you can apply a pre emergent herbicide to keep the weed seeds from sprouting. If the weedy growth is St. Augustine or some other creeping grass perhaps the best solution is to place a physical barrier along the property line so you can monitor it and cut it off before it reaches your lawn. You can pour a concrete curb like barrier or simply dig a 6" wide, 4-6" deep trench along the property line. When the grass tries to cross the barrier you can cut it down with a shovel or a hoe.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"