bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Prescott, Ar
Question by jacmar6
While at the Home Depot recently, I was looking for seeds and found the bulb section. I was VERY excited to see begonias and dahlias and I bought both. I plan on planting them in pots. We live in Prescott, which does get freexing weather. Do the bulb need to be lifted and stored for winter?

Yes on both accounts. Tuberous begonias will grow and flower all summer long. When the temperature begins to cool the stems and foliage will turn yellow. At that point, stop watering and allow the plants to go into dormancy. Prune off all the dead foliage and store the tubers in a cool, dry place for the winter months. In the spring the tubers will begin to sprout and that's your signal to pot them up and take them outdoors. The same goes for dahlias. Wait until frost nips the tops of the plants then cut everything down and dig up the tubers. You'll find more than the original tuber when you dig down into the soil. You can separate the tubers and plant them individually next spring. Enjoy your new flowers!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"