Succulent and cacti - Knowledgebase Question

Port St. Lucie, Fl
Question by ericyolandaj
Hi,
I would like to plant succulents and cacti on my lawn. I have been buying small plants. What is the best way to plant them? Would I require special soil. I live in Port St. Lucie, FL
Thank you.

0

Succulents and cacti need a sandy, fast draining soil. It's not a good idea to plant them in your lawn or even near your lawn. Lawn requires much more water than succulents and the plants will develop root rot if you keep the soil too moist. You can certainly build a raised bed or mound in or near your lawn and plant them there. A raised bed or mound will elevate their root systems enough to keep them drier than the lawn. Planting is fairly simple. Just protect your hands with leather gloves or wrap the tops of the plants with several thicknesses of newspaper to keep you from getting stuck when you handle the plants. Plant them at the same soil level as they were growing in the nursery pots. Good luck with your cacti.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"